LinkBack Thread Tools Translate Search this Thread
Old 12-13-2003, 11:06 AM
-Building a dream
Points: 13,988, Level: 12 Points: 13,988, Level: 12 Points: 13,988, Level: 12
Level up: 80% Level up: 80% Level up: 80%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Quote:
Originally posted by JerseySiPOS
not trying to get on your case, but i would never say you can make more power with skunk 2 cams than jun cams because that is the word going around. you can make comparisons between cams and their specs. But how do you know a gsr head is better than a b16 head for all out lsvtec. whats the fact? A gsr head could be better, but you need to understand that you might need a different engine combination between an lsvtec/gsr head and an lsvtec/b16 head to achieve the same goals. it doesnt just boil down to what head is the best. Hear what im smellin'?

its all about the engine combination of pistons, rods, cams, bolt ons and tuning to get the best results your looking for. its how your entire setup works together to produce as much cylinder pressure and volumetric effeciency as possible which equals more power.

that is the general goal in making power. how you go about doing it depends on your entire setup. Its not just this or that head and bottom end because some dude said it or that is what everyone is doing these days. know what i mean. you did give some nice examples like stating what cams, valve train, etc. My statement is not a fact. Just my opinion
The whole thing about the heads were based upon their combustion chambers. Statistically the B16A heads out perfom the B18C1 heads on forced Induction, while B18C1 heads outperform the B16A heads for NA Applications. And thats with same bolt on's for each. I mean this with no disrespect I just base my fact upon statistics and numbers. There was a big discussion about the difference between the heads that included myself, MrCRX and a few others a few months back. And as for the thing about making the most power possible, yeah that is what we all do. We all try to make the most power within our budget therefore not many people can sit there and build up a B18A/B block with the whole enchilada and try out both heads to see which out performs both. With that I say No one has an Idea about each setup unless they try both themselves.

My EH2 Build Up

Sponsored Links

Old 12-13-2003, 11:30 AM
AM I HOT OR WHAT?

uhm..why would b18c1 head good for all motor and b16 heads are good for turbo? if i'm not mistaken from the data sheet..they both flow just about the same (400~420cfm) so why would you make that comment about b18c1 is good for all motor (and there are tons of people that make shit load of hp using b18c1 heads) and a b18c5/b18c heads are basically a factory ported b16 head. I really don't like the way how B18C1 is designed (too tall and less hood clearance). I use it because it came w/ the car and all my pippings are done for b18c1 heads and not b16 (or else I'll have to rewire 'em).

Buttom line..if you have b18c1, just stick w/ another b18c1 so you dont' have to buy different parts for it.

Jeff-
Old 12-13-2003, 11:54 AM
-Building a dream

:-d

My EH2 Build Up
Old 12-13-2003, 12:21 PM
JDMU Brown Belt
Points: 15,838, Level: 13 Points: 15,838, Level: 13 Points: 15,838, Level: 13
Level up: 56% Level up: 56% Level up: 56%

Quote:
Originally posted by Falkien
The whole thing about the heads were based upon their combustion chambers. Statistically the B16A heads out perfom the B18C1 heads on forced Induction, while B18C1 heads outperform the B16A heads for NA Applications. And thats with same bolt on's for each. I mean this with no disrespect I just base my fact upon statistics and numbers. There was a big discussion about the difference between the heads that included myself, MrCRX and a few others a few months back. And as for the thing about making the most power possible, yeah that is what we all do. We all try to make the most power within our budget therefore not many people can sit there and build up a B18A/B block with the whole enchilada and try out both heads to see which out performs both. With that I say No one has an Idea about each setup unless they try both themselves.
i hear ya man and i know what your trying to say. its just i look at it this way and most people do too. more compression=more power but so does more cylinder pressure which is made through more volume as well, which in numbers might be able to be accomplished easier with a b16/c5 head. so the combo of b16 head and higher compression pistons might yield you more power with setups that have ported head, big cams. but then again, its so close comparing the 2, some will say whats the difference, believe it or not.

people have their own opinions and their own way of doing things. hopefully its the right way for you that matters, i think.

Last edited by JerseySiPOS; 12-13-2003 at 12:24 PM.
Old 12-13-2003, 01:53 PM
MountainGarage.com
Points: 11,692, Level: 11 Points: 11,692, Level: 11 Points: 11,692, Level: 11
Level up: 79% Level up: 79% Level up: 79%

lets address this guy's first priority. reliability. change the oil pump to a GSR. second the Rod bolts. remember an ls has sohc rod bolts! use an obd1 stock GSR ecu and use an apexi v-afc to tune it. you do not want the car to over rev with a stock bottom. next change the clutch, flywheel and install a 4.9 J's racing final drive and a phantom grip (yes it does help) & to cut costs while you are in there.

now you have a reliable ls/vtec that is quick on 18's with out spending a fourtune on internal engine mods
Old 12-13-2003, 04:35 PM
The Has Been Super Mod

Quote:
Originally posted by N1TWINCAM
lets address this guy's first priority. reliability. change the oil pump to a GSR.
...VTEC Oil pump + LS water pump + VTEC or non-VTEC timing belt = mess....dont mix and match shit...get VTEC oil and water pumps, w/ a VTEC timing belt
Old 12-14-2003, 02:27 PM
-Building a dream

Damn this whole thing went from helping the guy to our own lil discussion. Gotta love it.

My EH2 Build Up
Old 12-14-2003, 06:25 PM
JDMU Brown Belt

well its all good because he has some research he can use in this thread. some people mentioned some setups that are reliable and on a short budget.
Old 01-03-2004, 12:03 PM
JDMU Yellow Belt

i have a 2.0L lsvtec all motor ferio. $2.5k-$3 to spend?

ported skunk2 manifold
3" u bend cold air intake
sms header
3" straight pipe w/90mm muffler
skunk2 stage 2 cams
springs/retainers
port/polish yer GSR head (that's what i have)
HONDATA w/an excellent tuner

if possible... and depending on what kinda compression you want and what kinda octane you want to spend on... 12.1-12.8cr 85mm wiseco pistons, ultralite probe rods, sleeved block...

and since you're driving this on the freeway, a 4.7/9 FD is not recommended...

get an LSD too and a good tranny...

www.teamultraspeed.com
Old 01-03-2004, 12:05 PM
JDMU Yellow Belt

get a fuckin' Walbro fuel pump and an electric water pump... big injectors and MAYBE a fuel regulator that won't go to shit..

www.teamultraspeed.com
Old 01-07-2004, 10:23 AM
JDMU Brown Belt

Quote:
Originally posted by ultra_ferio
i have a 2.0L lsvtec all motor ferio. $2.5k-$3 to spend?

ported skunk2 manifold
3" u bend cold air intake
sms header
3" straight pipe w/90mm muffler
skunk2 stage 2 cams
springs/retainers
port/polish yer GSR head (that's what i have)
HONDATA w/an excellent tuner

if possible... and depending on what kinda compression you want and what kinda octane you want to spend on... 12.1-12.8cr 85mm wiseco pistons, ultralite probe rods, sleeved block...

and since you're driving this on the freeway, a 4.7/9 FD is not recommended...

get an LSD too and a good tranny...
thats a nice setup. did you run pump gas when you tuned it? how extensive did you go with your port and polish?
Old 01-14-2004, 04:13 PM
-Building a dream

damn nice setup. But even more so I love the numbers, especially the 160ft/lb tq.

My EH2 Build Up
Old 02-01-2004, 06:22 PM
JDMU White Belt

Quote:
hondata, installed & tuned - $575
We'll get your stock ECU tuned similarly and for half as much

No need to buy extra stuff, take the car to the dyno, and pray that your hired tuner knows what he's doing.

LS/VTECs have very specific fuel requirements insofar as engine management is concerned. This is one of the keys in making this motor move. We've come across a lot of guys running mugen and skunk2 chips thinking that these are rich enough for a hybrid motor. From what we discovered...the fuel maps found on those chips aren't enough and have a lot of room to improve upon.

We can definitely get you an excellent custom tuned program for your ls/vtec, which can be fine-tuned. No more guesswork involved, no more intensive tuning needed.

Hope this helps!
Old 02-01-2004, 06:59 PM
AM I HOT OR WHAT?

Quote:
Originally posted by BCTUNED
We'll get your stock ECU tuned similarly and for half as much

No need to buy extra stuff, take the car to the dyno, and pray that your hired tuner knows what he's doing.

LS/VTECs have very specific fuel requirements insofar as engine management is concerned. This is one of the keys in making this motor move. We've come across a lot of guys running mugen and skunk2 chips thinking that these are rich enough for a hybrid motor. From what we discovered...the fuel maps found on those chips aren't enough and have a lot of room to improve upon.

We can definitely get you an excellent custom tuned program for your ls/vtec, which can be fine-tuned. No more guesswork involved, no more intensive tuning needed.

Hope this helps!
well, how would you be able to chip a ecu for a car that you never seen in person before? all engines are different. similar built engine can produce differently in result. the only way to "tune" your car is to get it on the dyno. You can only provide very close "base map".

Jeff-
Old 02-01-2004, 10:22 PM
1 sick stang

if u want to spend that amount of money stick with an economical brand like aerospeed as opose to greddy.