here's a couple of pics on the install. i got one of the first bars from Jim at http://www.jimfab.com
. i promised him that i'll take some pics of the install and show it to you guys on JDMuniverse. but he's really backed up with a lot of people on the waiting list.
this is a traction bar that mounts to your frame (front tow hooks) and to your front lower control arms. they are then connected with an adjustable tie-rod to minimize deflection of the LCA under hard acceleration-thereby eliminating wheel hop. i'm very pleased with the bars. it's gotten rid of alot/all of the wheel hop. definitely worth the money and worth the wait!!
BUT!!! here's the problem: it will only mount to 2-piece lower control arms b/c there are two bolts needed for the jim fab mount. civic cx's/dx's/ex should be ok b/c the LCA's have the two mounting bolts. (99-00 si LCA's and CTR LCA's are only one-piece and do not have two bolts.) hence, if you want a 99-00si front Sway Bar, you can't install these jim fab bars. BUT, if you want to settle for a thinner EX front Sway Bar, you can theoretically install both jimfab and swaybar b/c the EX LCA's are two-piece. (refer to the second picture below for the two-bolt mount found only on CX/DX/EX LCA's)
1. jack up the front end of your dope ride and secure it with jackstands behind the wheels and remove lower plastic splash guards:
2. remove the two bolts on the LCA (lower control arm) and bolt-in the jim fab mount reusing the factory bolts (2 - 17mm bolts):
3. remove both tow hooks (3 - 14mm bolts each side): sorry for crappy pic!
4. have a friend help you mount the Jim Fab crossmember bar in the tow-hook locations using factory bolts: (you may have to massage this crossmember bar to fit in b/c the length of the bar is just perfect with no extra room to spare... a nice rubber mallet helped with the install)
5. at this point, begin connecting the tie rods on each side using the supplied hardware:
6. replace the splash guard and trim to make it fit.
for those of you who are wondering about it's clearance from the ground, rest assured. the lowest point on the traction bar setup will only be as low as your stock tow hooks. so if you don't scrape your tow hooks, you won't have to worry about the jim fab bar.
here's a side shot.. notice that my mugen header actually hangs lower than the bar itself:
1. Called and ordered from jim @ http://www.jimfab.com
(great customer service
2. Installed bar
3. Eliminated wheel hop = improve 60' times
4. DOES NOT scrape the ground
5. steering and handling has improved. response is quicker and cornering is snappy.
6. at full WHEEL LOCK (turning the wheel all the way to left or right) the tires and rims DO NOT touch the tie rods (setup: 16" mugen mf8's standard offset rims, 205/45 tires)
7. call jim if you have questions about fitment.
sorry for the sucky pics! i hope this helps.